Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bending Spoons, Palm Reading, and more...

With great anticipation, I kept checking to see who won this year's 2007 Project Competition at Center (I find myself calling them "The Organization Formerly Known as Santa Fe Center of Photography" to differentiate). I was thrilled to surf in this past week and see that Carol Golemboski won out of an astounding 819 entries. I first met Carol at a SPE conference in 2003 in Austin, TX. I was doing research at the Harry Ransom Center for a PRC show that united spiritualist tendencies in historical photographs with contemporary work. I had an amazing time sifting through the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini archives surrounding the "Margery the Medium" debate going on in Boston in the 1920s. Floating heads, light orbs, and ectoplasm - oh my! So, when I looked at Carol's stunningly beautiful manipulated gelatin silver prints on the topic of Psychometry (or object reading) in the back of Jonathan Singer's booth, I knew right away I was going to show her work. You can check out the online version of the 2004 show, Concerning the Spiritual in Photography, here. Congrats Carol!

As a side note, one of the artists that showed in another PRC group exhibition, Julie Blackmon, went on to win the Center's 2006 Project Competition and was recently chosen as one of PDN's 30 Emerging Photographers for 2007. I am astounded at what has happened to her career since I first came across her work and showed her in the 2005/2006 exhibition, Group Portrait. She now has 3 galleries, a rep, and her prices have doubled. I can't help myself in saying: You go girl!

Selections by Carol Golemboski, as chosen by the 2007 jurors: Charles Guice, Director, Charles Guice Gallery, Berkeley, CA; Deborah Klochko, Director, Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, CA; Kira Pollack, Deputy Photography Editor, New York Times Magazine. You can find Carol's work locally at the Robert Klein Gallery.





























No comments: