Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Barack Obama's flickr and post election thoughts

Surfing around blogs/links, I came across Barack Obama's flickr stream. With 50,000+ photos posted dating from his candidacy announcement until today, this is a treasure trove and a delight to peruse.

Obama's use of 21st century social media--his flickr site combined with text messaging, twitter, and email--made this historic campaign even more astounding and transparent. (See this post by Mel Trittin for an example of the email sent right after his victory and this great twitter-inspired artwork by Brian Piana.)
I especially like his "about you" section on flickr, seen below.

Around the blogosphere, I also enjoyed Shane Lavalette's quotation of my favorite part of Obama's acceptance speech and Dawoud Bey's thoughts on the true dawn of the 21st century. Like Amy Elkins, I was warmed by the photos and montages of global citizens celebrating as well as the impromptu "pots and pans" parade in my neighborhood on election night. Sitting on my couch, I welled up yet once again, especially at the above picture of his beautiful family.


I so much look forward to the next 4 years.

A bit more about Barack Obama...

Occupation: Senator (D-IL)
Interests: Basketball, writing, loafing with kids
Favorite Books & Authors: Song of Solomon (Toni Morrison), Moby Dick, Shakespeare's Tragedies, Parting the Waters, Gilead (Robinson), Self-Reliance (Emerson), The Bible, Lincoln's Collected Writings
Favorite Movies, Stars & Directors: Casablanca, Godfather I & II, Lawrence of Arabia and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Favorite Music & Artists: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Johann Sebastian Bach (cello suites), and The Fugees

1 comment:

Erin said...

oh, wow. I am glad you found this...granted it will consume many hours of my life.
i am excited too.
Yes, we can!